[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Hi from Rochester NY -

Hi from Rochester NY

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
five8five
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 46x23ft
Materials: 7/16" OSB 18" high, 2' wood stakes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi from Rochester NY

Postby five8five » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi all, first time rink builder in Rochester NY here. I've got plenty of room, but my property is a bit slanted -- drops about 7" over 20ft one way, and doesn't really drop much the other way. I'm planning on doing a 26'x56' rink this year with 7/16" OSB as the frame (8ft long x 1ft high strips). I understand I shouldn't expect the OSB to last more than a couple years based on what I've read, but I figure since it's my first time, I'll start cheap to learn the fundamentals.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Hi from Rochester NY

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 am

Cheap is good, especially with your first rink. Only thing I'd be worried about is the height of your boards...ideally you want 4" minimum of ice. This means that in your high end, you have 4", then according to your post, you'd have 11" in your deep end. That's still under your 1' tall boards, but gives you almost no puck retention. Also, what if your slope estimates are a bit off? What if it's 8" or 9"? You don't give yourself much wiggle room. I very much subscribe to the "overbuild, especially in year one" mindset so I would consider bumping up the height of your boards to 16". You can get three 16" strips out of one piece of plywood, so you do have to buy more, but not a ton more, and you give yourself that much more wiggle room. Another suggestion...brace the CRAP out of that side. 11" of water isn't a TON, but it's not insignificant either, and the water is not going to be happy to be contained inside your rink. You'll want to use wooden stakes (if that's what you're using) to brace the bottom, but I'd consider adding some diagonal 2x3 or 2x4 bracing at the top of the boards on your deep areas. I've attached a picture to show you.
Attachments
535950_393347770684810_136946367_n.jpg
Note the 2x3 supports on the right side (before we trimmed the liner).
535950_393347770684810_136946367_n.jpg (108.14 KiB) Viewed 11640 times
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Danny
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20x40
Materials:

Postby Danny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 am

@five8five - I'm in the process of building my first rink as well and I have a similar pitch. I planned on doing 16" boards or maybe even 24" to be safe.

five8five
Rink Rookie

Postby five8five » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks Joe and Danny. I have been a little worried about the height in the deep end, and given the cheapness of OSB, I will take your advice and build higher. Not too concerned about pucks at this point, but having more wiggle room would make me much less nervous. I have been planning on wooden stakes every 4' for the most part, but I will add more support on the deep side too. Thanks for the pic. I will try something like that.

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 pm

I usually go every 4' for support when the water is less than a foot, and every 2' (or more) when it's deeper. With OSB, double-up at the board junctions (I should have taken more pics when I used this approach...I'll look through my old pictures and see if I have a shot where I did this). Basically you'll have one wooden stake, then the end of that board, then the start of the new board, then another wooden stake. The two stakes would be less than a foot apart, with the board junction in between. Does that make sense?

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

five8five
Rink Rookie

Postby five8five » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:56 pm

That makes sense. Been drawing it in Sketchup...I think what you're suggesting is like the attached images, right? I was thinking of sandwiching a mending plate in there, driving the screws from the inside. Also, same story on the corners -- one post on each side of the corner, with a L bracket instead of a mending plate.
Attachments
stakes-osb-joint-inside.jpg
stakes-osb-joint-inside.jpg (126.04 KiB) Viewed 11618 times
stakes-osb-joint-outside.jpg
stakes-osb-joint-outside.jpg (135.04 KiB) Viewed 11618 times

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 pm

That's exactly right! I need to learn how to use that thing....you guys are pros!

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:48 am

No kidding eh? I've installed it but that's as far as I got. Too lazy I guess.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

five8five
Rink Rookie

Postby five8five » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Sketchup really isn't too hard to pick up. If you've got an hour you can watch the first three or four videos in their tutorial series. After that, you should be able to do quite a bit. http://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos?playlist=58

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:13 am

What's this 'hour' that you speak of? Must be like the unicorn or mermaid, much talked about but never seen, at least in my house.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Return to “Introductions”