[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Connecticut rink with big slope -

Connecticut rink with big slope

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
username in use
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Connecticut rink with big slope

Postby username in use » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:17 am

Hello all,

It's not October yet, but I'm ready for the cold weather. I can't wait to get started on my second season.

Last year, as a test run I did a 12' x 24' rink for my 4 year old and 2 year old to get started on. My slope was large enough that I had about 16" on the deep end and one corner just about exposed on the shallow end. The rink was a success in my book because aside from 1 square foot it were able to use it and my kids caught the skating bug. I loved it, but want to get something a little bigger. I am going to break out the line level and twine. I'm hoping to get at least a 16' x 40' in this year.

Looking forward to gleening some information from all the pros on here. Thanks for the great website!

J

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Connecticut rink with big slope

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi J...great username!

16" of water is a bit north of my own personal limit. I've built rinks with more water...but it's stressful on fill day and during any warm spells during the year. For EBR, I no longer do it.

Definitely check your slope and know what kind of depths you're looking at before you fill. If you can find a way to minimize the depth (mulch bags, leveling, moving the rink somewhere else) I'd do it. Your kids are young...if they want a rink each year, you're looking at 15+ years of rinks. Best to spend some coin now on a long-term solution than to have to worry each year. My opinion...

Good luck!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Introductions”