[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
North Shore of Massachusetts, Checking in -

North Shore of Massachusetts, Checking in

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

North Shore of Massachusetts, Checking in

Postby Murphymendez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi gang,

like so many on the forum, I have been lurking for some time but have not pulled the trigger on joining since I had not yet committed to a build. However, that time has come! My neighbor has done a pretty straightforward rink for the last few years, and one things is very clear - how do you turn dreary, cold, dark days into the best days of the year? No, the answer is not to hop a plane to the Bahamas (although there's nothing wrong with that!), it's to get out on a backyard rink and shoot the puck around!

After a 15 year hiatus from goaltending (and a very short career prior to that) I hit up Craigslist and Ebay and have pulled together the full monty of equipment. Having just two real outings with some buddies leaning into the Easton's and lighting me up for a few hours, I can say without hesitation they were the 2 best nights I have had in years - and the lighting was terrioble, ability to see the puck very poor, and my Hammies and Groin musles completely cooked!

So it turns out I have a greeat backyard for a rink. I found a guy on Craigslist getting out of the construction biz, and bought 50 2x4's, 20 sheets of plywood and some other odds and ends, as I plan for my 40' x 75' rink next year. The summer will be filled with framing out the boards - I plan to do 4' x 8' boards along the ends and 2' x 8' along the sides.

One question before I get started......does anyone recommend a particular type or brand of paint to give the lumber a better chance at fending off the moisture?

This will be the first of many questions, but thanks in advance for the help, advice and encouragement!

Ian

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: North Shore of Massachusetts, Checking in

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Welcome to the site and to the wonderful (and exhausting, and frustrating, and incredibly fantastic) world of rinkbuilding. I'm not far from you in Bedford, NH, and I run the blog and forums (with plenty of help). I also own Elite Backyard Rinks, so shoot me an email if you need a liner or any parts. And of course, we're all here should you have any questions!

Joe
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Re: North Shore of Massachusetts, Checking in

Postby Murphymendez » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 am

Thanks for the warm welcome Joe! Having pitched in on other rinks and can certainly agree that the potential for frustrating is high! But worth it.

I will certainly be calling on you for a liner.

Best,

Ian

Return to “Introductions”