[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Backyard NooB -

Backyard NooB

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
NEOH ICE
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 35x50
Materials: Nice Rink Liner, PreFormed Thermo-Plastic Boards (NR), NR kick plates, NR bumper caps (all worth it)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Backyard NooB

Postby NEOH ICE » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Greetings all. Just a note real quick; We are nearing the end of my first season with a backyard rink. I have been a lurker here since before Thanksgiving and finally joined today. Nonetheless, the project would not have been possible without all the info / tips / suggestions and mistakes cataloged here on this site. Thanks to all who have contributed now and in the past.

To the extent that I am physically able, I will be an annual member of the backyard ice club hereto forward.

My 6 year old daughter has loved every minute of it it. I have had so much fun myself both skating and maintaining it. For whatever reason, shoveling snow off the rink at 11:00 PM in single digit temps gives my brain a much needed escape from reality and really clears things up for me. My wife, who has never skated in her life - got skates for Christmas and learned to skate really well in about a week's time. She has been converted into a rink rat as well.

As a family, the memories will last forever. Initially, the wifely unit was heavily opposed but went along, reluctantly, when my daughter and I made our case. She now is an avid supporter and defends it to all those who have said we were crazy to even try a rink in Northeast Ohio.

Indeed, I thought so too. But I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. And it really wasn't like it was a huge financial risk - more of a time commitment than anything else.

It surpassed the expectations of all of us. And even though we are winding down the season now in NE Ohio, we have still managed 16 good skate days with several weeks likely still to go, fully survived two full thaws, and proven all the naysayers dead wrong. We hoped for 15 skates or so. We will likely end up doing north of 20 days if the weather holds up a few more weeks.

Enough of my dribble. Thanks again all. I have already started planning my improvements for next year. But for now - some pics...

First Ice - January 2nd, 7:30 AM, a beautiful thing...

First Ice - Take Two - Following the first thaw. January 24th:

My baby girl, doing her thing. Eyes on the game - not the puck.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Backyard NooB

Postby kevmac » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

That's awesome and welcome to the club! You have some fine looking ice there and congrats on converting yet another naysayer to the 'cold' side.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:18 am

Very nice! Glad the site was helpful. And your daughter absolutely looks like a hockey player already! Love it.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

NEOH ICE
Rink Rookie
Materials: Nice Rink Liner, PreFormed Thermo-Plastic Boards (NR), NR kick plates, NR bumper caps (all worth it)

Postby NEOH ICE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks gentlemen.

Hockey is proclaimed her favorite sport, second only to eating chocolate she says.

6 year olds make up their own rules about these things so I don't argue.

Her and I go to a lot of AHL games as well - she loves going to the Q and watching her Lake Erie Monsters !

Her mother isn't yet very keen on her playing organized hockey but I think she'll come around in time.

Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Murphymendez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Nice rink!

Question for you - are those yellow board guard pool noodles cut lengthwise or something else? I like the looks of those!

FYI - I just joined today so go easy on me gang if the answer is obvious!

Ian

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Murphymendez » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks Joe, good info!

NEOH ICE
Rink Rookie

Postby NEOH ICE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Ditto to what Joe said. They really are a helpful piece of gear. In my case, and you can kind of make it out in the pic of my daughter, they not only hold the liner in place but they also secure the kick plates in position to protect the liner.

I suppose any number of things could do the trick - such as pool noodles (if you could ever find that many in one place and / or of the same color.) I have heard of folks using foam pipe insulators as well - which come in different sizes apparently, but apply the same principle.

The Nice Rink stuff works very well; though I will also say they aren't as inexpensive as you might think they would be. But they do save a great deal of hassle which more than makes up for it.

And for me, the added benefit of safety made the decision for me. There are a lot of wee ones that use my rink aside from my daughter. The extra foam padding on the top of the boards made me feel a lot better about the expense.

Return to “Introductions”