[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Single mom, first time rink builder.. -

Single mom, first time rink builder..

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HockeyMom
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 16 x 24
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Single mom, first time rink builder..

Postby HockeyMom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 am

Hi all. My kids are 3, 6, and 13. My 13yo daughter figure skates and she told me last week that she thinks I should build a rink in the back yard. I've got the other two in skating lessons/hockey so I figured they'd enjoy it too. I asked a few friends who have done this before and they all tried to talk me out of it. I know it's late in the season to get started, I know it's a lot of work, I know they won't wear their rink skates on my ice, etc. I also heard "the first year is just practice" so I figure even if it's a slushy mess, it'll be good practice for next year, and it'll be fun.

So I built it, nice and small for my first year (16' x 24'). Had to borrow a friend with a pickup truck to help me get the wood. He thinks I'm crazy and tried to talk me out of it too. I don't care, my 3yo asked me if he could eat dinner out on the rink and it wasn't even frozen yet, so I know this is going to be fun.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Single mom, first time rink builder..

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:12 am

Welcome to the site! I think it's fantastic that you would do this for your kids and they are going to love it. My one word of caution to you is that this 'hobby' can get very addicting. :-)

Hopefully your 'slushy mess' will freeze soon and you can start tweaking the ice.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Single mom, first time rink builder..

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 pm

First of all, you need new friends! Preferably more optimistic ones, or ones who realize that a little hard work can make for incredible memories for your children. No, it's not always easy or fun, but the good times you'll have on the rink will make it all worthwhile.

Welcome to the site and please let us know if you have any questions! Be sure to fill in your location and rink materials in your profile!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “Introductions”