[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Hello from Detroit -

Hello from Detroit

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tflutur
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello from Detroit

Postby tflutur » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi everyone. Greetings from Detroit. Just wanted to thank all of you for the advice I found on this forum. I filled my ice-n-go kit rink for the first time 2 days before our recent snowstorm and had 6 inches of snow over 1/2" of ice... not good.
I managed to find you all and feel much better about things now that I have the rink back under control. (and hot water from the house)
When the dust settles and I get it finished I will provide my opinion of the ice-n-go kit. So far it seems to be a pretty simple but effective way of building a rink, but this is coming from a guy who used to make rinks without a liner, so I guess I have low standards.
Anyhow, thanks again. May you all have a cold, rain-free winter.
-Tim

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Hello from Detroit

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Tim! I've been building rinks since 2007 (including a couple dozen for customers these last two years), and you might be the first person I've ever met that has had a (so-far) successful run with an Ice N Go kit. Don't take that the wrong way - I'm happy for you. I just have my doubts about the materials, and have heard numerous stories about the rinks simply not working. And two of my customers are former ING users who had issues, then swore off backyard rinks for several years before contacting me, which sucks me for me to hear. I've always wanted to order a kit and install it myself, but haven't gotten around to it. Please keep us posted on how it works out and best of luck!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

tflutur
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Re: Hello from Detroit

Postby tflutur » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks Joe.
The ING kit out of the box is probably only usable as-is on a tennis court or perfectly level surface. Even though the spot I chose was quite level I noticed very quickly when I was filling it that the blocks provided to level it are useless. I ended up having to raise the whole frame using logs and wood shims I cut.
I still have a good 2" to fill in and hopefully will have thick enough ice in a couple trouble spots once I finish flooding.
In case 2" isn't enough I piled and compacted snow all around the frame and hosed it down in order to contain any water I might need to add that wouldn't fit in the kit.
So yeah, the thing works for now, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a perfectly flat area or don't want to get creative.
I plan on building a permanent fixture next season when I buy a house, but for now my $140 ice-n-go kit from craigslist is doing the trick while I'm renting. I will post another pic when it's all done.
Hoping to replace the winter classic we lost in Detroit with a new years day game, so I'll post another pic if we can make it happen.
Take Care,
-Tim

Return to “Introductions”