[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Can i level snow/then add rink boards and tarp? -

Can i level snow/then add rink boards and tarp?

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kfroud
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can i level snow/then add rink boards and tarp?

Postby Kfroud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 am

Hey everyone, my name is Keith and I'm from Ontario Canada. Last year I made the old traditional style rink, where you pack snow and water and use snowbanks for boards. This year I have decided to upgrade a bit. So I got a question. My back yard is NOT very level, about a foot or more difference on the oppisite corner. I just bought an old 60' x 40' white rink tarp and enough 1 x 6" lumber to make my rink boards. My question is " Can I first level the snow where the rink will be, And then put the tarp and boards over the snow? I don't want the snow to start melting under the tarp, which might cause my ice to start cracking. Also I want to run my tarp "UNDER" the 1" X 6" rink boards, so when im shoveling off my rink, the shovel/skate blades and pucks dont rip or tear the tarp from the inside. I want a nice clean edge on the inside. Can i do this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Keith

Thx

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Can i level snow/then add rink boards and tarp?

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:50 am

Welcome Keith. I would avoid using snow as a level under the tarp unless you pack it down quite sufficiently so that it turns to ice under the tarp. I would be afraid that with our weather fluctuations in Ontario (not sure where you are), your base under the tarp may 'disappear' on a warm day thus resulting in additional strain on your tarp. I would use something that isn't affected by weather - I've seen Joe use insulation blocks underneath the tarp to 'build up' extremely low corners. I've heard of people using wood under the tarp as well, just to take up the space. Otherwise, you could use the snow to level the rink inside the tarp. I've done this several times in the past with great success.

I have run my tarp under my boards in the past as well. You will definitely protect your tarp from shovels and skate blades with this method but you must ensure you have proper support for your tarp outside the boards, especially in your low corner. The water will creep under the boards and fill the space between the boards & tarp - this could potentially rip the tarp. It can be done - you just have to be careful.

Hope this helps
Kevin
Last edited by kevmac on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Kfroud
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Kfroud » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 am

Thx... WOW this is hard work. Looks like i may have waited to long before i got started. I have a 60 x 40 ft tarp, and made my boards 55 x 35 so I have access tarp to fold up over the outside of the boards to hold in the water. I bought a bunch of 4 foot 2x2 wooden ground stakes (horrible idea) ground is too frozen and all my stakes are splitting in half! ahhhhhhhhh and now when im trying to level my boards the wood screws are also spliting into the 2x2 ground stakes, HELP. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and pull all the boards out and use the old traditional method. Can i just leave the 1x6 rink boards on the ground and use hard pack ice water snow against the outside of the boards as (stakes) or to help level? Can i pack lots of snow inside the tarp and level it and somehow pull the rinkboards up and put it on top of the snow? I hope this makes sence? I will definatly get a few tandem loads of topsoil next year and properly level my lot and also start the rink foundation in the fall.

Keith

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:34 am

Tough call. The problem with using snow/ice to brace your boards is I don't think it would be very secure. If money isn't an issue, I would go out and buy some 2x4s and make some triangular braces (you can see some examples on the picture at the top of this page - may need a refresh or two) which I would place at the seam of your 1x6s. I would also buy some 6" spikes and drive them through the brace and into the ground. Drill a hole through the brace first just so you don't split the 2x4 in the cold weather. This may suffice for this year.

You can always use snow to level off your rink inside your tarp. It won't go anywhere having the tarp and it's free (with a little elbow grease).

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Kfroud
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Kfroud » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 am

hummmm.... ya money is sorta kinda a issue. If i spend another dime on this here rink, I think my wife is gunna leave me. haha I'm just gunna try using the stakes i have in the ground now and some hard packed snow for this year, and some faith. Or I can just leave the tarp on the ground and remove the boards all together this year. Because eventually when the snow/ice gets level it will be well overtop of the rink boards! and i think this will screw me in the end. So i might just be better off to go with the old traditional style like i did last year.

I'll keep you posted with good or bad news mid season

Thx

Keith

Return to “Introductions”