[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Joe from B-H.com -

Joe from B-H.com

Who are you? Where are you from? Tell us about yourself.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Joe from B-H.com

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

I guess it's only right that I kick this forum off with my introduction.

I started playing hockey at four, and played for my town travel team from my youth straight through high school. I played for Manchester West (NH) HS from 95-98, and then played for Stonehill College in N Easton, MA. I'm married and have three kids: a five-year-old son and seven-month-old twins (one of each). It's quite possible my son is more in to hockey than I am, and he's the catalyst for my backyard rink exploits and, subsequently, this website.

I started backyard-hockey.com a few years ago, mostly by accident. While keeping a personal blog of my own rink, I realized that 99% of the information I used to build my rink was mostly hidden from the public, nestled within the Yahoo Backyard Rink group. I'll be forever grateful for that group, but the truth was that it wasn't very search-engine friendly, and the information contained within it was more or less passed down from year to year. If Yahoo ever decided to get rid of its groups, a ton of great backyard rink information would go with it.

So I started to write. First was our homeboni how-to, which gets thousands of visits per month over the course of the winter months. Shortly after writing that first post I played in the inaugural New England Pond Hockey Classic in Meredith, NH. I started writing about that too, and quickly realized there was no central listing of pond hockey tournaments. So I created one. Today it's the most visited part of the site and a funnel for potential pond hockey players to find an event in their area.

Along the way we've met hundreds of amazing people and have a core readership that I value and appreciate. What I hope to accomplish with this forum is to not only provide a place for people to talk about backyard rinks and pond hockey tournaments, but to capture this close-knit and incredible community we're all a part of. In the grand scheme of sports, us outdoor hockey people are rare and our numbers limited. But the passion we have for what we do is greater than any other collection of people. I hope we can provide a place for you all to meet and converse.

So thank you for being a part of the Backyard-Hockey.com community. I urge you to share not only this website, but the joys of outdoor hockey with people you know. Thanks for reading!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Introductions”