[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
My dilemna = leak under ice -

My dilemna = leak under ice

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kdukatz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 56
Materials: 1/2" OSB, 2' x 8' with 3' vertical rebar (1' into ground) behind 2x4 or 2x6, every 4'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My dilemna = leak under ice

Postby kdukatz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am

Here's my issue (wish I had a picture, maybe try to post one later): I filled my rink in early Dec when we had a 4-5 day stretch of below freezing temps. My rink runs North/South. My depth ranges from 4" in the NE corner to 12-14" in the SW corner. The rink sits in an open area so the ice along the North boards is in direct sunlight all day (the ice along the South boards is shaded by the boards themsselves). Over the last month or so of these consistent 40+ temps, I've watched the ice creep slowly away from the North boards as it melts. Somewhere in the SW corner, under the thickest ice, I have a leak(s?). I'm guessing the constant pressure of the water under the slab of ice caused the liner to split. I do not like the idea of hacking through the thickest ice to try and patch the leak, especially since I may find more than one. Any attempt to replace the water I've lost in the North end results in the water running under the slab to the low area and out the leak.

Now that we look like we'll be having consistently low temps for a while, I'm thinking I could mix up a snow/water slush and use it like mortar to fill in the gap on the North boards. After that freezes I could then begin putting water down to build the ice back up on that end.

Anyone ever tried this before? Any success? Any other ideas?
"You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there's nobody out there. It's kinda sad actually."

-Neal Broten - "Pond Hockey" documentary

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: My dilemna = leak under ice

Postby kevmac » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm

First of all, that sucks and I know first hand because I had the same problem this year but that's what I get for trying to patch my old tarp from last year.

As for the ice/water=slush patching of the rink... I use this method of patching every year. I used to build my rink with a snow base - pack it down, water it and slowly make ice. This method was used to fill holes that never wanted to freeze. Once the 'mortar' froze, it was easy to flood right over top, thus building the overall thickness of the ice.

As for this year, my rink runs East/West and my North end is always in the sun and is also the thinnest part of my rink (~ 4"). Along the North boards, I could not get the water over the tarp so I covered it with snow... packed it down with my 'homeboni', let it freeze and repeat until it held water. You can also use this method to build a ramp-like wedge along the boards thus creating a tub effect along the boards so the water will never have a chance to get under the ice.

Hope this helps and good luck
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Wow what a good idea! I have a couple small areas that got air bubbles from my last slushy snow weight ice breakage debacle and now I know how to fill them. Thanks!

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 am

Just remember not to add too much water to the slush until it is completely frozen - keep layering the water until there is a base over it - otherwise, the water will find it's way right through the exact same hole and you'll be right back where you started.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

kdukatz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 56
Materials: 1/2" OSB, 2' x 8' with 3' vertical rebar (1' into ground) behind 2x4 or 2x6, every 4'

Postby kdukatz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

So far so good. I've been able to fill in/build back up the ice along the North boards using the slush/mortar strategy. I don't have it quite back up to level with the rest of the rink yet, but a couple more light surface floods on that end and it'll be good. At least I don't have that gap for pucks/skates to get caught in anymore. Also followed kevmac's advice about using snow to create a small lip of ice all around my boards, working like a charm. Thanks!
"You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there's nobody out there. It's kinda sad actually."

-Neal Broten - "Pond Hockey" documentary

kevmac
Forum Moderator

Postby kevmac » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Missed the update on this last week and just caught it in another post... congrats on the "skateability" of the rink... (if that or skateable isn't a word, it should be!)

Another success story! =)

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”