[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Synthetic ice thoughts? -

Synthetic ice thoughts?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
marc_ulan
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Synthetic ice thoughts?

Postby marc_ulan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I'd like to build a backyard rink. I'm located in Central Connecticut, so the weather is not likely to cooperate for long stretches of time. I'm considering using synthetic ice and am interested in hearing from those who have experience with it.

The rink I'm considering would be about 25'x40', and used mostly by one slow, middle aged adult (me), one beginner figure skater (my wife), and one 7 year-old budding hockey player (my son). I don't care if we can't have full games on it. We would like to have a place where we can practice shooting, stick handling, and just playing around.

Does anyone have experience with synthetic ice? How does it feel? Is it hard on the skates? Would you recommend it? Could I put a liner on it and flood it in the winter to have ice when it is cold, and then go back to the synthetic when it warms up?

I appreciate any feedback that folks can offer.

Thanks,
Marc

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Synthetic ice thoughts?

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 am

Marc,

I don't have any experience skating on it but an acquaintance of mine has done exactly what you said in your last question. He has synthetic ice laid down in the summer and in the winter he puts a liner over it and makes it into an ice rink, so I know it can be done.

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Re: Synthetic ice thoughts?

Postby Jeff22 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:48 pm

My 8 year old works with Allen Andrew's hockey school here in PEI Canada on their synthetic ice for an hour a week during hockey season. It is harder to skate on, meaning it takes more effort, as you don't glide the way you do on real ice (I believe this is due to the lack of melting ice creating a layer of water between your skate blade and the ice) but aside from that, watching them on it, and speaking to my 8 year old, it skates just like real ice. We do find it kills his skate blades, so we just sharpen them every week after his session. Aside from that, it creates a ton of white dust on his skates and socks, (and everywhere inside his hockey bag). I'd love to put some in my yard or basement, but I can't sell the wife on it.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”