[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
building over part of my deck -

building over part of my deck

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

building over part of my deck

Postby HaleSkater » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:23 pm

With the slope of the yard, I can put more rink over the bottom part of my deck (about 2 extra feet) without much more total water...the bottom segment is the same height as the highest part of the yard.

Question: is there any reason not to do this? Will it heave strangely or behave differently from the rest of the rink?

This is Year #3, and I'm looking to make as big a slab as I can in our urban backyard...

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: building over part of my deck

Postby kevmac » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Are we talking about a wooden deck or an interlock stone patio? I would be less hesitant to cover a stone patio with the rink, depending on the substructure and how well it is packed, than I would a wooden deck.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood

Postby HaleSkater » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Wooden. I elected not to do it since it has some areas that come to a pretty sharp point.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Unless you covered it with plywood or something to protect the tarp (and the deck), I think you made the right decision.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”