[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Lighting -

Lighting

jfgreco
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30x60
Materials: Iron Sleek Rink System with 22/32" plywood ripped to 16" in height.

Lighting

Postby jfgreco » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am

Rink construction has begun. Slowed due to this snow, but I will be taking care of that tonight.

Next phase I am researching is lighting. I have several trees around the rink that would make for perfect hanging spots. Just curious how people might have gone about mounting them in the trees? Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Lighting

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 am

I get the cheapest halogens I can find, then disassemble the mounting arm a bit. Most have these adjustable arms that have a hole in them (to mount to a base). I remove the base and that leaves you with a hole to mount to a tree, fencepost, etc.

The black part on the bottom is the arm I'm talking about. The base (yellow part) I just toss. It looks like the one in this picture has 2-3 holes to use.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

jfgreco
Rink Rookie

Postby jfgreco » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 am

Yeah I was looking at the ones at Lowes they are like $13. CHEAP!

Are you screwing right into the tree? I was thinking about trying a ratchet tow strap thought it might be easy to mount that way. Just trying to come up with ideas.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 am

I don't do the trees actually...I build on a tennis court with tall fencing, and use the top post of the fencing. I'm sure someone here uses trees, though.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:51 pm

I use the double version of those halogen lights - usually comes on a tripod:

I pack up the tripod and use the straight bar across that holds the two lights. That gets screwed onto the top of supported 12' high 4"x6" poles.

I've also screwed both lights onto a 2x6 mounted on a 2x4 which got screwed to the front of the 4x6.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x18.5
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mtbhk44 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm

I just bought two of these at Lowes - the 500W ones with the tripod were like $24. Lights up the yard pretty good.
Attachments
080083534364lg.jpg
080083534364lg.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 39306 times

david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby david » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 am

I got two of those as well. Not super duper lightning, but enough to see the puck.

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 am

I have a street light which was hanging in a tree when I bought my house and a 500w halogen sitting up in another tree on the other side. Great lighting from the two of them.

jfgreco
Rink Rookie

Postby jfgreco » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 am

@Chris - How are you mounting them in the tree?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

I have 6 of the 500W lights - 4 on one side and 2 on the other. I always wave to the people in the planes as they are descending over my house to land at the Ottawa airport.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”