[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Warm weather blues -

Warm weather blues

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bfalla
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Warm weather blues

Postby bfalla » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:48 pm

A funny/ironic/sad thing happened to me this week. It's been hovering around 50-degrees in NE for the last week; today is a rainy, foggy mess. I no longer have a rink to worry about, and yet I've found myself horribly depressed by the weather. Is there a anti-seasonal affective disorder?:) Hope you are all "weathering" the storm. At least your ice should be glass when it comes back.
Best,
Brian

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x18.5
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes

Re: Warm weather blues

Postby mtbhk44 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:20 pm

I live on Long Island and built my first rink after the New Year. Everyone around me is thrilled with these warm temps but I'm dying for some cold. Looks like we may get our wish by the end of the week into the weekend. At any rate, I feel your pain and I'm ready for the cold weather!

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm

We have the same weather up here, warm, rain, lots of fog. Add to that I have a leaky liner and have lost about 4 inches or so and I'm feeling your depression as well. I am down to the liner in my shallow end. Hope it gets cold soon, or my season will be over just after it began.

david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner

Postby david » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:42 am

I feel your pain as well. I live in Oslo, Norway, and we finally went below 0C last weekend. Now I'm enjoying the cold weather :)

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 am

Everyone else around me (especially my snowplow buddies) is happy that it's been +5'C since the weekend, whereas I'm been pining for the -10'C weather that is due tonight. The only drawback of the thaw followed by a freeze was the inevitable visit from the backyard rink heffalump. I'll be spending my evening scraping a plethora of bumps of my ice and then flooding. Should be back skating tomorrow night.

Brian - if you ever need to quench your ODR desire, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to assist you. I am definitely an enabler of backyard rink addictions.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

MLeslie347
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 80
Materials: Nicerink bracket and 18" board system

Postby MLeslie347 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Fortunately our "warm-up" last weekend was pretty short lived here in the upper Great Lakes area, but I can certainly empathize as the past two seasons have seen a couple of lengthy warm periods where you feel helpless, angry, and downright irritable while you watch your pride and joy slowly wither away in the mid-day heat.

My wife made the mistake of commenting on "what a nice day it is" last Sunday (47 degrees and sunny) and the steely-eyed dagger stare and muttered curse words she got in response weren't quite what she was expecting. Unfortunately for me, we've been married long enough that she didn't even feign sympathy. She just rolled her eyes at me and told me to quite being an idiot.

Should have logged on here for a more understanding crowd ;-)

Getting cold again here today. Just spent 45 quality minutes out on the ice with my hose/rink rake repairing the damage and smoothing everything out again. My pant cuffs are wet/frozen solid, hair is all messed up from sweating underneath my stocking cap and my fingers are so numb that I can barely type this. In short- I'm happy as a dumb clam again. Hopefully this Alberta Clipper will work its way out East quickly!

-Magnus

Roadrage
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 60
Materials: 2''x12''x10' Boards. Iron Sleek Brackets & White Liner.

Postby Roadrage » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm so there with you!! Us Nebraska folks saw a "Record Smashing" high of 65C today. Seriously? I hope it cools down again quickly.. although this whole season it's seemed to bounce from a 32 - 48 degree high.. except for the 3 day spell when it was -15. Not sure if it's always like this and I never paid any attention, or if this is abnormal. Frustrating.. for sure!
Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 am

It never fails that there is a warm spell in the middle of January (at least here in Ottawa) that will cause some melting of the snow and ice. It's a great time to clean the driveway and catch up on all those shows you PVR'd because you were outside flooding the rink.

It also never fails to get brutally cold shortly after which we are about to dip into this week. Mother Nature can be a real jerk sometimes but she usually does come around and make it cold again.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

mtbhk44
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x18.5
Materials: 2x8 pressure treated boards, 60 2 foot long wood spikes, 30 2 foot long rebar spikes

Postby mtbhk44 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Well, it's about to get really cold here and of course we are going to get blasted with a 12/14 inch snowstorm ahead of the cold. I'm praying the rink freezes overnight before the snow starts or I'm going to have a real problem.

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 am

after cleaning the super heavy (practically slush) 6ish inches of snow off the rink yesterday I went to the bruins kings game then went to my own game and woke up this morning to all the heavy wet snow that fell out of the trees, half melted, and froze in chunks up to 2 1/2-3 inches thick on my ice....not chipping off so well. I may need to break out the big torch for this one or risk losing a 10 foot stretch about 2-3 feet wide right down the edge of my rink. (of course right in the middle of the length too!)

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”