[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Ice cracked -

Ice cracked

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rfm1237
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32x48
Materials: 2x6 boards with wood stakes.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ice cracked

Postby Rfm1237 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 am

This is my first rink. It was going well. I got the base down and was putting a light flood on to smooth it out and it started crack all over the place. I wasn't standing on it so it had to be something thermal. Really loud cracks and now I have cracks all through the ice (think shattered window). They seem to be below the surface as you can't feel them when you put your hand on it. Not sure what I can do now but keep flooding over them to build depth. Did I do something worng? It was really cold when I flooded (9 f) and I used warm water. In retrospect itt seems like the same reaction you'd get it you dropped an ice cube into warm water. Anyone else ever have this happen? What did you do?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Ice cracked

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:06 am

First off, welcome! Make sure you fill out your profile (location and rink info), it helps us when giving advice.

Pretty common, and you're correct that it was the combination of warm water and very cold air temps. You may have noticed less cracking if you either used cold water or waited until it was a bit warmer. That said, it's nothing you need to worry too much about unless the cracks hit the surface.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:07 am

It's normal... just flood over it and it won't be an issue. To be honest, I rather enjoy the sound of cold ice cracking at 2 or 3 in the morning when I'm out with the hose all by myself.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 am

That sounds still scares the crap out of me when I am flooding though, I think it brings me back to the old days when we used to skate on the pond or horse around on the river. If you heard that crack, it usually meant that someone might be getting wet, so GET OFF!
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Rfm1237
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32x48
Materials: 2x6 boards with wood stakes.

Postby Rfm1237 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm

1526272_10151804174581717_1529145990_n.jpg
1526272_10151804174581717_1529145990_n.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 9634 times
Seems to be okay. Skated on it last night for hours with my son. Great time.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Nice! We got the little portable defenseman too...my son loves it. Can't wait to see him throw some sauce in a game or nutmeg a real d-man to prove to me he's learning from it though, haha.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”