[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
What temprature extremes are OK for skating? -

What temprature extremes are OK for skating?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Roadrage
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 60
Materials: 2''x12''x10' Boards. Iron Sleek Brackets & White Liner.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What temprature extremes are OK for skating?

Postby Roadrage » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Alright.. so this is my first year with a rink.. but I'm trying to figure out the weather. My kids are pretty little, so I have to be careful about how long I let them stay out into the cold.

Right now we have had some ridiculous (for our area) extremes on weather. Right now (and for most of this weekend) the temps have been around 0 to -5, with windchills in the -30's (extreme cold for us). It's suppose to be like this for the next day or two.. then back into the mid 20's (ideal) mid-week and then 45 - 50 degrees by Friday & Saturday (to warm and melts the ice)!

It also doesn't help that our rink is on the northwest side of our house.. so it still gets sun exposure, but also the harsh Northwest Winds (and we have open field to the north of that with no trees or structures.. so no wind break).

What is typically the coldest (with windchill) that you'll let your kids skate?
How warm can it get and still be decent skating conditions with a rink full of kids?

Thanks!
Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: What temprature extremes are OK for skating?

Postby kevmac » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I don't have a low range to let my kids skate. If they want to skate, I let them skate as long as they are bundled up and stay warm. If it's too cold for their old man to go skating, they typically won't go skating either. They have always been good to go inside when they are cold, just don't force them to stay out if you are warm and still skating.

As for the high side, I personally stay off my rink at anything above -5'C (23'F). I find that the ice is too soft and gets chewed up pretty easy. I'm a little more lenient on this rule in the evening after the sun has gone down and also later in the season since you never know when your last skate is going to be.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner

Postby david » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm from Norway, and even though it's 40F here at the moment, we're used to pretty cold temperatures.
As long as you dress your kids properly, and cover their skin (in the face as well) there's no problem playing outside in -4F for an hour or so for a 3 year old, as long as the weather is dry and the wind is calm.

By dressing properly, I mean using wool clothing as an inner layer, and something that stops the wind (like goretex) as an outer layer.

Don't use cold cream, it's much better to cover the face with clothes.

But pay attention to the kids. Check their neck once in a while, and see if it's warm. If it isn't, get inside. If the kid starts to whine, or gets an unormal behaviour, it's probably a sign that he or she is freezing.

But it is absolutely nothing wrong to get some nice outdoor experience even though it's cold.

Doublekay
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 18 x 38
Materials: Rough sawed 1" x10" &12". Needed to level boards more in future

Postby Doublekay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:27 am

Great question and post.. Thanks all

Nebraska Maverick
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24X40
Materials: 1ft tall 7/16" OSB boards. boards joined w/ metal brackets. supported by 2X2X24 wooden stakes.

Postby Nebraska Maverick » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Hey I live NE as well and the day they cancelled school (-31 below) we skated. We were both bundled up and my house blocks the SE wind pretty well. We skated for an hour and half before he even asked to come in. No frostbite to speak of. Mostly runny noses, and red cheeks.

Roadrage
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 60
Materials: 2''x12''x10' Boards. Iron Sleek Brackets & White Liner.

Postby Roadrage » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:57 pm

thanks NE Mavrick.. now i'm grumbling about our 65 degree high today.. our rink is more like a pool!

I wish that WINTER = 28 degree weather consistently in this state! :)
Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

Nebraska Maverick
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24X40
Materials: 1ft tall 7/16" OSB boards. boards joined w/ metal brackets. supported by 2X2X24 wooden stakes.

Postby Nebraska Maverick » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 pm

HA! I agree! My friends look at me like a freak when I get grumpy that the weather is so nice and cheer for the 20's that are coming next week! Hang in there! we have 6 more weeks of good winter ahead! Remember the snow in May last year! There is hope my friend.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”