[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Front Yard rink -

Front Yard rink

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Front Yard rink

Postby Jeff22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:25 am

My rink is in my front yard, because that's the only spot that's level enough to put it. I had it there last season, with no issue, but this year I'm adding boards to one end. It'll be 38inches high at that end, closest to the sidewalk. I'm a bit worried that my town may give me some grief over it being an eyesore or something like that. Anyone ever have any issues with putting upa rink in the FRONT yard?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Front Yard rink

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

Not necessarily any issues with the front yard, but I have heard of towns and cities making a big deal out of rinks. Never any of mine, but it seems once or twice a year we hear about people getting cited. Rarely does it stick...the outroar tends to fix things.

Personally? I'd build first and deal with the fallout. If you ask your town for permission, they'll say no 10 times out of 10.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:35 am

That's kind of where I'm at with it. I'll put it up, and if someone want's to kick up a fuss, I'll kick up my own fuss, about kids not getting outside enough, and watching to much TV, etc...
That said, I'd rather not have an issue, I'm not much for headaches and confrontations. Next year I plan on bringing in a bunch of fill and making it bigger, and in the back yard.

CoachJim33
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x24
Materials: 3/4 in 8x4 plywood ripped in 16" for low boards.
3 full 8x4 sheets for shooting background.

Postby CoachJim33 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 pm

I'm in the front yard this year too. Definitely more level plus I put up a pool out back last summer. Joe, I saw in another thread you mentioned not to put on top of leeching field. Why is that? Because of heat rising? Or for staking concerns??? Mine is over leech field this season. I notice my sewer cover for the tank melts off first but seems the ice is fine.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:45 pm

I think the leach field thing is just a precaution that has been passed down from generation to generation. Howard's Corner Of the Web, which is one of the older backyard rink sites around, lists this as a reason...and I would think that as long as you take care to drain using a pump or hose (and not just slicing the liner to let it drain), you'd be ok:

Al Duncan's rink location tip:
"BEWARE - BEWARE - Steer clear of any septic lines when considering where to place your rink. I thought having a front yard rink would be great fun for our kids and provide hours of fun for relatively little funds. $12,000 later I now have a new septic system and septic bed replacing the one that I ruined by saturating the ground with water. Once the spring thaw comes any excessive water in the ground can move the tiles in a septic bed rendering your system useless. Frost is your enemy in these situations." (Tip # 76)

I also noticed that my septic system seems to melt the snow too, but not entirely and never during the coldest part of the winter. So while maybe it'll generate SOME heat, it doesn't seem to be enough to hurt a good slab of ice.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”