[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Home-boni / Resurfacer... - Page 2 -

Home-boni / Resurfacer...

Roadrage
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 60
Materials: 2''x12''x10' Boards. Iron Sleek Brackets & White Liner.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Home-boni / Resurfacer...

Postby Roadrage » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 am

Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

JDW
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x46
Materials: 2x12 boards, homemade brackets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JDW » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 am

Just from my experience with the towel, it took a few tries to get it to work good. I (my wife) ended up sewing a double layer of towel around the tube only. It helped to distribute the water more evenly across the towel. It could be I needed more holes, bigger holes, not sure. In the end it's what worked best for me. Hooking a hose to it would probably change everything.

deke302
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24 x 36
Materials: 2 x 12 base boards and Blue Lake Plastic liner

Postby deke302 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 am

WOW! These are super! I am doing the drag the hose out each time and mist it with my hose when needed but these may be something to try for next year. You all are super creative!
Deke
Derek "Deke"

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:05 pm

The misting with a hose will definitely suffice, but you can't 'guarantee' an even distribution of water, not that you can guarantee one with a homeboni but I think you have better control over where the water lies.

One thing about the only-hose method is I would never recommend that method for bizarre cold temperatures where the water practically freezes on contact with the existing ice. You can end up with a huge mess of cascading ice. There is nothing like laying strips of water at -15'C (5'F) or below with the rinkrake and having it freeze uniformly before you make the next pass. (Might have to video tape that this year, need a GoPro on a toque!)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

JDW
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x46
Materials: 2x12 boards, homemade brackets

Postby JDW » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Never let a wet towel sit still on ice for long when it's really cold. Kind of like a tongue on a metal pole. Happened when I was trying my homboni for first time. I emptied the bucket, stopped to refill it, started off again and the towel and bucket stayed behind.

deke302
Seasoned Veteran

Postby deke302 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 pm

I may have to rely on my new friend back yard rink friend to purchase the materials for 2 and then have a cold Crown on the rocks and make it with you or it can be a Christmas present for your new rink buddy! (lol) Great post with GREAT pictures guys! Thanks!

Deke
Derek "Deke"

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Let her husband perfect it and then get him to make you one - I love it.

Get off the Crown and move over to 40 Creek (if you can get the good stuff in Nebraska). :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

deke302
Seasoned Veteran

Postby deke302 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:37 pm

I will for sure look for Forty Creek and give it a taste! YUM! Sounds so delicious on a Friday after noon here. CHEERS!

Deke
Derek "Deke"

Roadrage
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40 x 60
Materials: 2''x12''x10' Boards. Iron Sleek Brackets & White Liner.

Postby Roadrage » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:47 am

I'm not entirely sure what just happened here - but somehow I think I'm making 2 Homeboni's and Deke gets to watch & drink Crown while this happens. That'll teach me to wait 10 hours before coming back to a thead that I started.. ;)

Bring Joel some Scotch & a bottle of wine for me - and I'll make you a Boni. We'll probably be to drunk to use it when it's done though.. so Deke's gonna have to resurface our ice.

e :)
Erin
Omaha, NE
40x60 Rink
2''x12''x12 Boards / Iron Sleek Brackets

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”