[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Time to fill? -

Time to fill?

JDW
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x46
Materials: 2x12 boards, homemade brackets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Time to fill?

Postby JDW » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Rink is up. 10 day forecast starting friday shows only 1 day above freezing(35 f). 35/24, 26/14, 24/16, 30/20, 31/26, 32/28, 35/26, 30/21, 32/28, 31/22. Maybe I'm just getting anxious. The last three days have been cold at night, but 38/40 and sunny during the day. I checked the ice on my pool cover and had a 1/2". That's on top of a black cover. My rink is mostly shade, only sees sun early morning/late afternoon. The ground was hard today until around 3. Should I wait or take a shot at it. I'm thinking winter is going to be cold and long the way the past few months have been.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Time to fill?

Postby kevmac » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 pm

With those temperatures on the horizon, why wouldn't you fill? You are going to fill at some point, why not get a jump with those temperatures and maybe it stays. Best case is that you might be skating by next weekend. Worst case is... actually I don't see a worst case.

FYI: My rink is 3/4 fill (gradual fill off my well). I'm hoping to hit the same cold temperatures here in Ottawa (-1/5, -9/-2, -12/-6, -13/-1, -3/1, -10/-4, -12/-8) . I love seeing that -12, -13, -10 and -8 temperatures in the forecast. Did the same thing last year and I skated on November 30th and we played pickup on the rink December 16th.

Kevin

P.S. I really wish you guys down south would switch to the metric system. It's so much easier.
Conversion of temperatures for you imperialists: 30/41, 16/28, 10/21, 9/30, 27/34, 14/25, 10/18
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

JDW
Rink Rookie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JDW » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm all set to fill tomorrow, hoses laid out, all things ready to go. Forcast still looking okay, 10 day out looking at 33/25, 34/27 for the last two days. Sorry for the (F) degrees, habit, I work at a small airport in northern Michigan and our weather reports in (C), but local weather is still (F). I'm just worried about snow. Living in a snow belt area the not so smart weather guy may say little to no accumulation, then we get 4" of wet snow. At the moment we have a slight chance of snow Saturday night. If the 10 day forecast doesn't change much by morning, I plan on filling tomorrow.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Snow! One of the evilest creations against backyard rinks. It never fails that it snows at least once between the first freeze and before the ice is strong enough for you to walk on. Darn stuff will insulate the water and now allow it to freeze as fast. Hopefully your water won't freeze before it snows and the wet stuff will just increase the amount of water in the liner.

We are expecting rain/snow mix tomorrow and Saturday so I'm hoping for the same thing.

Fingers crossed!
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Light drizzle at the moment. Loading all necessary parts in the truck tonight so i' m ready to go out and fill tomorrow. 10 day forecast still looking good. If no changes in forecast in the morning I'll start filling.

YooperHockeydad
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 70x40
Materials: Pallets, OSB, Plywood, Liner, 2x4's

Postby YooperHockeydad » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 pm

JDW I am up in Marquette and just started tonight with the low on saturday just being 8. Best of luck to you. I think if you mix the snow that supposed to come with the water it might just give you more volume? Who know but wouldn't it be nice to be skating on thanksgiving?

Scott

Reider
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Reider » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:43 am

Hey guys - I'm also looking to start my fill right away. This weekend has some snow in the forecast but it looks like I could start on Monday.

Here's my question - Like Kevmac, I'm also filling off a well so I'll go gradual. If I start to fill at 6PM Monday evening, am I likely to get an inch filled before midnight or so (6 hours)? I know it's hard to say exactly but I'm looking for a rough idea. Basically, should I bank on being up all night to get an inch filled each night next week? :)

Reider
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Reider » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:00 am

I'm going to answer my own question and let you guys poke holes in it. :)

The big assumption here is that the water flow is an average of 2.5GPM. I really don't know that number and I'll have to test it when I get going but it's a start.

My rink is 30 x 48 feet. It's relatively level for slope with an inch difference in one corner when I did the test.

If I want a total of 4" of water, that's .33 of a foot. Using a pool calculator (http://tinyurl.com/m8sg66z) with the above numbers I came to a total of 3564 gallons needed. With 2.5 GPM that is 1425 minutes or almost 24 hours. If I go an inch at a time I'm at roughly 6 hours per inch of fill.

Rough numbers all based on an assumed GPM but based on your real world experience, does this seem about right to you guys?

MLeslie347
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 80
Materials: Nicerink bracket and 18" board system

Postby MLeslie347 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Sounds about right. You'd be surprised how close you can get to your fill time estimate if you sit down to do the math, just like you have.

I used a 5 gallon bucket to estimate my GPM the first year I did my current rink and I'm somewhere between 5 - 5.5 GPM. Unfortunately, I have some slope to my rink so had to break the rink up into small sections to estimate the volume, but came up with an estimate of ~9,700 gallons, so was thinking around 30 hours.

Couldn't believe it, but in the end was right in the ballpark at a hair under 29 hours. Not bad for some crude calculations.

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:35 pm

If I was on Facebook I would have unfriended mother nature this morning. By noon I had 2" of snow, not planned, so I got a late start on the rink. Had to shovel the snow off before putting the tarp down. Started filling at 12:30pm and just turned the hoses off at 6:30. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
I didn't try to calculate filling time since I had two containers with 300 gal each plus I was pumping water off the top of my pool cover while also running the well.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”