[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Time to fill? - Page 2 -

Time to fill?

JDW
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 26x46
Materials: 2x12 boards, homemade brackets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Time to fill?

Postby JDW » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:08 am

Not bad for a days work, liner in, rink filled, ice forming. All in all it went a lot easier than I expected for my first time especially working alone. Before going to bed I checed it and had a thin skim of ice, clear ski and falling temps. This morning it didn't look to bad, a little rough since we got a little light snow early this morning, but it's windy so it's not sticking. The ice felt solid with a few wet spots along the edges. It's -6 this morning, perfect. Stuck at work now so I can't check on it until later tonight.
Attachments
DSC00352.JPG
DSC00352.JPG (172.87 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
DSC00362.JPG
DSC00362.JPG (167.44 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
DSC00375.JPG
DSC00375.JPG (92.88 KiB) Viewed 11329 times

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby HaleSkater » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:13 pm

She's gorgeous!! Congratulations!

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Beauty!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks guys, now if mother nature would just cooperate. We keep getting a 1/2" here and there and then 2" snow. Try to keep it cleared off as much as possible. Got up to 37 last night, now it's below freezing again and snowing. Probably have a mess tomorrow. Odd thing I have noticed is that the deeper end 6" is freezing faster than shallow end 4". Could this be do to the ground not being frozen. I can put my weight on the deep end but hear some cracking so I don't go any further. The shallow end I can't even come close and still see a couple small wet spots on the edges. Gonna be cold again for the next few days with occasionally snow flurries. I hate lake effect snow!!!

Danny
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 20x40
Materials:

Postby Danny » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Are there any negatives to filling even if the temperatures aren't where they need to be? I think I'd rather fill it while its 40 degrees instead of waiting till its 25 and sitting out there with a hose. I'f im going to be enduring freezing temps, I want to be skating when I do, not dumping water.

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Postby wilsondmw » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I think......the Deep end tends to freeze first...i think the proximity of the ground keeps the shallow end warmer...kinda like how Bridges tends to ice up before anything else....

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:54 pm

I'll have to remember this for next year. Maybe I will put more water in next time and see what happens.

YooperHockeydad
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 70x40
Materials: Pallets, OSB, Plywood, Liner, 2x4's

Postby YooperHockeydad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:42 pm

JDW,
I have 12 inches of ice in my deep end and 5" inches in my shallow end. My shallow end is totally frozen but my deep end there is still six inches of water. I don't think theres a formula. Best of luck with the lake effect snow tomorrow, I would maybe suggest spaying some of it down if you can. It could possible thicken up your ice base instead of insulating it.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:30 am

@Danny - I always fill prior to the freezing temperatures hit because I don't want to be dealing with running water over ice (my fills are always gradual since they are off the well) and I also hope to be skating before everyone else! :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

JDW
Rink Rookie

Postby JDW » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving. Lake effect snow finally stopped. I have 1 1/2 - 2" of ice with water on top and then 6" inches of snow slowly melting into the water. What's my bes
t bet to save things?

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”