[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
for the kids -

for the kids

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drich1020
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 30 X 30
Materials: I will be building a plywood board system for my first attempt this fall.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

for the kids

Postby drich1020 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm curious. Do you guys build your rinks just for your kids, or are you and some other adults on there playing some shinny too?
“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.” -Fred "The Fog" Shero

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: for the kids

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Rule of thumb: if your wife asks, it's for the kids. But if you don't sneak in some rink time for yourself, you're missing out.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

drich1020
Rink Rookie
Materials: I will be building a plywood board system for my first attempt this fall.

Postby drich1020 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Yes for sure. Wife is all for it, wants to have our daughter's 8th bday party at the house as a skating party with bon-fire.

I'm just concerned with the strength of the ice. In theory should we be able to get some adults on there or is too much weight an issue?
“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.” -Fred "The Fog" Shero

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

It always starts off as a project for the kids, but everyone knows that we do it for more than the kids. Especially when it's a beautiful cold sunny afternoon and the cell phone starts going crazy with phone calls and text messages. I can assure you that it isn't Dads or Moms asking if their kids can come over for a skate. Hours later, the driveway/road is blocked with parked cars, a bonfire is burning out back and the snowbanks look like a beer porcupine. Keep telling yourself it's just for the kids, someone will eventually believe you; it sure as heck won't be your wife though.

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:33 pm

As long as there's no water seepage around the edges of the rink, you're good. I can only think of a couple days in my 6+ years of doing this where we had to keep the adults off the rink while the kids skated. Cold weather cures all of that.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

MLeslie347
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 80
Materials: Nicerink bracket and 18" board system

Postby MLeslie347 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Although I love having the neighborhood kids and friends' kids over to skate, my wife and I don't have any children, so honestly, all of the work on the rink is basically for me to screw around and burn off some calories over the winter.

Frequently have passers-by stop and ask how old our kids are. They always react with a somewhat perplexed look on their face when, without missing a beat, my wife replies: "40".

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am

Yes, my wife has 3 children in her house on most days: 11, 13 and 44. On weekends, the number of 30 & 40 year old children increases depending on the weather. Although in recent years, I have found that she has abandoned the older ones and let them fend for themselves.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

drich1020
Rink Rookie

Postby drich1020 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:13 pm

These are some great responses. I love it. I'm really hoping my rink works out and I get my dad and brother on the rink for some shinny.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”