[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Pond Hockey Documentary -

Pond Hockey Documentary

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pond Hockey Documentary

Postby Murphymendez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

I thought I would pass this along, just a wonderful documentary I watched this week. It covers the history of pond hockey (as well as backyard rinks and outdoor park rinks), the impact playing hours of unstructured hockey on rough pond ice had on some of the best NHL players, the state of youth hockey, and finally it follows two teams at the national pond hockey championship in Minnesota. Cool interviews, Jack Falla, Gretzky and more. It gave me chills a few times and was just perfect to get me fired up about my build!

Movie is from 2008, available on Amazon as well but much more expensive.

You need to set up a Vimeo account (very easy, like YouTube). And then either rent the movie for $0.99 or buy it for $4. I bought it.

Links buy.pondhockeymovie.com

Hope you guys enjoy as much as I did, 80 minutes long.

Best of luck with the builds and the weather this winter!

Ian

Reider
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Re: Pond Hockey Documentary

Postby Reider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 pm

I just finished watching it tonight and I can't agree more. Tells a great story and really got me excited for this upcoming hockey/rink season!

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I love that documentary. It came out just as I was getting into the backyard rink/pond hockey scene, when backyard-hockey.com was just a collection of family pictures and Elite Rinks was too crazy a concept to even consider. My son, 2 when the movie came out, must have watched it a million times (and at 7, still does occasionally). It's a great summer movie too...makes those warm days feel a bit cooler.

Side note: last winter I spent a ton of time with the folks from On Frozen Ponds, which is a documentary concept along the same lines of Pond Hockey. They filmed about three hours at my house during a skating party, another two hours of just me and my son, and then I met them at the NEPHC in Meredith and walked around, taking in the games and running into friends. Totally not my cup of tea, being mic'd up and being on camera, but hopefully the end product is fun to watch. Not sure where it's at currently, but the Facebook page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/OnFrozenPonds
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Murphymendez » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:48 am

joe - very cool. Not surprised it wasn't much fun to be in the limelight with the mics and cameras, but must have been an interesting experience, and anything that sheds a positive light (is there any other kind?) on the sport is a good thing!

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”