[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Yet another sloped yard... -

Yet another sloped yard...

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 24x36 feet
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Yet another sloped yard...

Postby Jeff22 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Been reading these forums since fall of last year when I started my first rink. It was (and will be again) 24 by 36 feet, and it was decent sized enough for my 7 year old and I to work on some skating and hockey stuff. The yard is very sloped, more-so than I had thought. I ended up with 15 inches in the deep end, and never did get all the way up to the top level. So we ended up mostly using 2/3rds of the rink and still had a blast with it.
This year I had hoped to level out the yard, but that didn't happen so I'm stuck with the same issue. I'm wondering if I would which way would be best to lay the rink out. Last season I had one end in the low area. So 24 feet across of 15 inches of ice. I'm wondering if I'd be wiser to run the rink the other way this season, and have 36 feet of deep end. It would end up less than 15 inches, because I would only be 24 feet down the yard. Basically last year I ran the rink north south, but I'm thinking east west may be easier to fill and overall, put less stress on the boards. thoughts?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Yet another sloped yard...

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:45 am

Hey Jeff, welcome! Where are you located? Fill out your profile with location, rink size, and materials just so we always have that info when giving advice.

Basically, it's close to impossible for us to make this decision for you because we can't see your yard. It might be better, it might not be. Best bet is to bribe a friend with beer (or guilt your wife into it under the guise of "it's for the kid!") and set up some stakes and a line level, like we do in this post (http://www.backyard-hockey.com/2011/10/ ... yard-rink/). If you have a friend with a rotary laser (or you're within an hour of southern NH and don't mind paying a small fee for me to do it - see here: http://www.eliterinks.com/the-process) that'll be even quicker and easier. I can often find a suitable spot (or be honest that it's not going to happen) within 20-30 minutes with the rotary laser.

All that said, you're smart to think about this now...planning in the fall avoids headaches (and heartbreak) in the winter.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks.... I'm in Prince Edward Island, Canada. I do in fact have a friend who has access to some equipment to shoot the yard and check the slopes that way.. Hoping to have him over saturday.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Just don't try to bribe him with Schooner or Alpine - he might never come back! :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Jeff22
Rink Rookie
Materials:

Postby Jeff22 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:55 am

lol, he'll drink anything. Didn't get at it last weekend, going to take some measurements tomorrow afternoon.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Sounds like a Maritimer - I know, I'm a transplanted one!

Good luck with the measurements. Let us know how it goes.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”