[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
newbie, planning for Almanac greatness! -

newbie, planning for Almanac greatness!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

newbie, planning for Almanac greatness!

Postby Murphymendez » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:44 pm

hi gang - my first post and will be my first year setting up the backyard rink. By way of background, I am north of Boston near the coast, which has a weather impact, but my neighbor got a good 25 days in last winter (bascially Jan/Feb), which I think is pretty good in these parts.

I am starting out with a 64 x 40 surface and am using framed out ply-wood for my boards, 2' tall along the sides and 4' tall on the ends, no curved corners. Rough estimate is 4" in high end and 9-10" in low end.

so to my question....while the kids will likely dominate the weekend daytime hours, my buddies and I will skate evenings whenever possible. I plan to use 6 500 watt work lights for illumination, and wondering what heigh you all set your lights at to maximize coverage? I plan to do 2 T-bars on one side with 4 lights and 1 T-Bar on the opposite side. I want to avoid lights from either end as I am a goalie and that never works well......

So any advice on setup for best illumination would be appreciated.

And more than anything.....just getting really excited!

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: newbie, planning for Almanac greatness!

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome! I'm not too far up, just outside Manchester NH. It does tend to get a bit warmer near the coast, but you'll be fine.

What'd you use to get your slope measurements? I just get nervous when folks say "rough estimate". I want to make sure you have a great year...and slope is the biggest pitfall of every new rink.

As for lights, I use a collection of halogen worklights. Not sure what wattage, but just the cheap ones from Lowes. I mount them to the top of the 10' fenceposts around my tennis court where my rink is (it's old and crumbling...don't be jealous). But it's plenty high.

Alex from Backyard Ice buys fence posts and then buys the halogens with the stands, then puts the fenceposts in the middle to extend the height. That works for him. I'll see if I can dig up the drawing he sent me. I think you're ok putting them at the ends provided they're high enough. Any chance you can mount them to the house? I've seen them in trees as well.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I have 4 500W lights on a ~10' high 4x6 pole with a 2x4 mounted at the top on the north side of center ice and I have 2 500W lights on a similar ~10' on the south side of center ice. I don't have to worry about a stray shot hitting them. Only issue is the south side will light up the house pretty good and that's the bedroom side. Great blinds/curtains will solve any issue with the kids. :-)

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Murphymendez » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Joe - I used a line level on twine running tightly from a spike at my shallow end, set at 4", to my deep end, and it was either 9 or 10", don't recall. My neighbor had almost 18" in his deep end last year and it worked out fine, so I am hoping mine will be ok at half the depth! But let me know if I should be doing anything specific (aside from grading my lawn....) to impove my odds.

And Kevin, thanks for the tips on the lights, I was planing to mount on 2x4x10 but worry they will be too flexibly. I will look into some heavier wood. House/tree not an option unfortunately.....

Thanks again!

Ian

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 am

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Murphymendez
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Murphymendez » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 am

Phew! Was worried that I had taken the wrong approach.....

I still expect some hiccups, and my yard, while not bad from a slope perspective is still pretty lumpy, so I imagine planty of gaps between boards - but per your reccomendations to others on the forum, will focus on keeping boards flush to the ground rather than flush to each other.

I'll be sure to post some consturction pics when the time comes.

Thanks again Joe!

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”