[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Nervous New Dad -

Nervous New Dad

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Alearner
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Nervous New Dad

Postby Alearner » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am

Okay, I am already a Dad, but today is rink filling day(truck coming this afternoon), and thats what it feels like.

Here is my questions: prior to last night I was convinced that I had supported my rink plenty well enough. But today the truck is going to arrive and dump approx. 5-6000 gallons of water in my rink and I am worried that I may not have built it strong enough. I would love to list my specs, and maybe hear from anyone who has the time to comment.

Rink is 35' by 36', built from 2X12's. I have attached the corners with 2 heavy L brackets, and have reinforced all of the seems between the 12 foot sections of 2x12 with triangular supports built with 2x6 and pinned into the ground with 18" rebar pins. Additionally I have pounded 3 and 4 foot rebar/steel stakes into the ground to support the middles of each board, and on the "low side" of the rink I have put a second rebar stake per board.

If it sounds like the rink isnt sturdy enough, I still have time to cancel the water delivery. Thanks so much in advance for anyone who has the time to comment.

Cheers,

Adam

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Nervous New Dad

Postby kevmac » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 am

You definitely did the right thing by adding some extra support on the 'low side' of the rink - that is where the majority of the weight is going to reside. It sounds to me like you have done a great job of supporting the structure. It's hard to say without seeing it in person but I don't think you should have any issues (knock on wood) holding the water.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 am

So....how'd it go?
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Alearner
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Alearner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm

No stability issues whatsoever. I was being too anxious. I will try to post a picture when its a little prettier to look at.

I wish I could report that my surveying efforts went as well as my engineering did. Suffice it to say that the corner which was obviously the "high corner" (the one that I did all my slope calculations with) did not end up being the highest spot--so I had to go up another 2X6 along the low end so that I could get enough water in the shallow end.

Held fine though. Now, if I could just get it to freeze solid without any more slush falling.

Joe, cant thank you enough for all the great info on the site. Building a homeboni this weekend, & will toast to your honor after its first use.

TheDude69
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby TheDude69 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”