[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Kick Boards -

Kick Boards

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jesse10
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kick Boards

Postby Jesse10 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:42 am

Yet another question here.

1) What do you all use for kick boards to protect the liner which is exposed above the ice?

2) Do you add these boards before or after the freeze.

3) How are kick boards attached? just a few screws through the liner? If I'm not reusing the liner I guess this is the best way, but I was sort of hoping to salvage my liner for next year.

Thanks again all for your help! I am a senior in high school and starting skating/playing hockey last year for the first time in my life...And we had a terrible winter for it. You guys are great and I love the website. Keep up the good work Joe!
Jesse
"until the next time, keep your stick on the ice" -Red Green

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Kick Boards

Postby kevmac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:32 am

My kick boards are 1/4" plywood cut into 1' strips. In previous years, I have drilled through the liner at the top of the boards, with the bottom secured behind the ice (wedged between the ice and the boards). This year, I actually folded my tarp behind itself and avoided putting holes through the liner.

Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

wilsondmw
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 56 x 26
Materials: 2 x 12 x 12's (2x6s scribed under low spots for leveling)
Plastic Liner (-Wilmette Bike Shop)

Postby wilsondmw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 am

Was thinking about making kick plates myself, anyone know the name/tone of the "proper" yellow paint to be used? I know it doesn't have to be perfect, but just thought I would ask...

Lbruski
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Lbruski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Jesse - hopefully this season will be much better than last year. In terms of kick plates, I use the ones from NiceRink but there are other alternatives. I am not sure what it is called but am guessing that Lowe's/Home Depot sell rolls of plastic kickplate material that you would normally use above carpet in an office setting.

In terms of timing, I normally install mine after I have filled the rink but before it has frozen. That lets me get the lower edge below the water line to start (remember that water expands as it freezes). Just be careful to keep the kick plate flush with the sides so that you don't put a hole in your liner.

Len

Jesse10
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Jesse10 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks everybody,
haven't finished kickboards yet, but hopefully this weekend I'll get them installed. Gets down to 18 F at night, freezes about an inch and a half, then two days later its back up to sixty and completely thaws out. Nothing like Central Illinois weather. Also am struggling with a couple of leaks right now, patched one, then my brother found another which I haven't patched yet. I lost a couple inches of water so I'll have to get truck and tank back out and start hauling again...

On a lighter note, A friend rented a local indoor ice rink last weekend for a few hours so we got to get out on the ice and shoot some pucks around... Can't wait to do it in the backyard.
Thanks everybody for your help,
Jesse
"until the next time, keep your stick on the ice" -Red Green

Matt
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 70x25
Materials: 2x10's and 2x12's. homemade wooden triangle brackets with 1" metal stakes.

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 am

Lowes and home depot sell sheets of the material that showers are made of. shower board or something like that. i bought 4x8 sheets for like 20$ a piece and cut them down to about 10". its fairly flexible and maybe 1/8" thick, but does a great job of stopping skates and pucks and sticks. if you put them in while filling and then fill over the bottom level the ice will freeze and further hold them in place. i heated up the edge of my shop bench with a torch and then carefully folded the top inch over at a 90 degree angle and they hang nice over the top of my boards and i dont have to screw them in at all.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”