[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Flooding Temps...? -

Flooding Temps...?

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Flooding Temps...?

Postby HaleSkater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 am

I know there are lots of different takes on this topic...

Would it be a huge rookie mistake to flood on Thanksgiving evening here in Minneapolis? Starting that evening the lows are projected to be: 24, 22, 29, 22, 23, 25, 21, 16. Highs in the low to mid 30’s but with some sun (which probably means melting, eh?)

My rink is very small (12 x 37 for the little ones). Approximately 5.5 inches deep in some spots, but the bulk of it around 4 to 4.5 inches.

Would it be smarter to wait for consistent lows in the teens and lower high temps?

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Flooding Temps...?

Postby HaleSkater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 am

I must stop reading about this stuff...I'm becoming obsessed.

One more question... fill all at once or make a few layers. I see conflicting info out there. Some sources say go 1-2 inches and then another 1/2 on top. Others asy all at once. I'm inclined to go all at once so the "first" layer doesn't melt from the second getting put on top.

What's the best route?

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm

For your initial question, I believe you are referring to the initial fill, I think you are safe to fill at any point now. Just be wary of any leaves or other debris that may end up in the water after a windstorm - the sun seeks these out and melts your ice.

I think most people fill all at once. If you wait for the first 1-2" to freeze and then try to schedule another flood, you might miss some days of freezing that would have froze the other 1-2" if you had of filled it all in the first place. The other issue with a secondary fill, the new water will melt some of the existing ice. I'd say you are better off filling all at once and letting Mother Nature worry about making the ice..

Hope this helps
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran

Postby HaleSkater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for the input.

Here's one more: Any reason why it would be a bad idea to run an extension cord under the rink? The way I'm thinking of configuring my lights, it may make things quite a bit more manageable to run a cord right under the slab...

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 pm

As long as it's a decent gauge of cord (one that won't heat up under a heavy load like 1000W of halogen bulbs), you can run your extension (or power) cord under the ice with no issues. I have done it for several years with no issues. You will actually read about some folks who run red LED Christmas lights under the white tarp to make there center ice lines.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran

Postby HaleSkater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 pm

You guys are the best... I'm going to put the final touches on my boards tomorrow, run the lights...and then go for it on the evening of thanksgiving assuming the updated forecast holds.

I'll send photos....!

hurley2012
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 40x60
Materials: plywood and 2x4 braces

Postby hurley2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:17 am

I agree with the filling all at one time, less hassle for sure. The first rink i did i was able to get 6 mil black plastic for nothing and the thought of a black liner and the sun didn't sit well. So i filled the rink with snow ( watching your kids shovel snow from your neighbor's yard is priceless) and soaked the snow with the hose and rink rake. After that froze up I would layer about every 40 mins through out the night with hot water. The process takes time and patience, which all of must have!! I have said it before, I wish i would have found this forum before i started trying to put a rink up it would have saved me alot of time and frustration. Everyone have a safe and happy thankgiving!!

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran

Postby HaleSkater » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Updated forecast for Minneapolis.

Here are the lows starting this evening:
23,18, 28, 22, 21, 18, 24, 27, 29, 30

Daytime highs are generally in the mid thirties, edging close to 40 by next saturday. I'm still thinking its worth going for it tonight... What's the worst that could happen?!?!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”