[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
PVC Rink Frame -

PVC Rink Frame

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

PVC Rink Frame

Postby HaleSkater » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi All... Rink newbie here... Minneapolis.

We've got a typical Minneapolis postage stamp type yard, but enough space for a small (tiny actually) rink that our 6 and 3 year old kids should be able to have some fun on this season.

I've seen a few rink concepts based on 4" diameter PVC pipe (http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a- ... ting-rink/) Wondering if anyone has done this before and what kind of results you've had. Any lessons learned?

Also - I have a 6 mil clear liner. Is a white liner waaaaay better, or just marginally better?

Here's the proposed layout:
[img]C:\Users\rdehave\Desktop[/img]

Thanks for any pointer folks!

-Bob

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: PVC Rink Frame

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Hey Bob, welcome to the forums!

I just took a look at that link, and honestly, I have no idea how people can skate on that. Some questions I have:

-They used 4" PVC, meaning that even given LASER-FLAT ground (which does not exist), they're getting a max of 4" of ice. 4" is just fine, but to my point, flat ground does not exist, so part of their rink has less than 4" of ice. Not ideal.

-Did I mention flat ground doesn't exist? I build my rink on a tennis court, which one would imagine is flat. But yet along my 56' long side, I have about a 6" slope. You know what happens when you have a 6" slope and you use 4" PVC? It's not pretty, I can tell you that much.

-PVC will crack if you hit it with a puck, or a stick, or a snowblower.

-They have a total price tag of $300 for their rink, and it uses inferior parts. We have a price tag of $250 for one of our most-visited posts, and it gives you up to 12" of board height (or enough for about 8" of slope).

My suggestion? Don't build a PVC rink. You'll see if you read the site that I very rarely "prescribe" solutions because every yard is different and thus, every rink is different. But I will shoot down ideas I don't necessarily believe in, and this is one of them. A rink with 4" PVC will work on about 1% of yards, tops.

Take a stroll through our how-to posts and start by finding your slope. Once you have that, the basic design of our "build a rink for $250" post will make more sense, and you'll know if 12" boards are high enough. And if you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask!
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Joe
Site Admin
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Oh, and you should be able to attach an image once you graduate from the "newly registered users" group (which is an anti-spam control). I believe the threshold is three posts. You'll have to attach the image so we can see it, as we can't see your C: drive.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Sorry, missed your last question. I've used a clear liner without issues before. I think white is probably the best, but honestly, when I look back at my rinks, I can't tell you which lead to better ice. By the first skate or snow, the ice is all white anyways.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am

I'd have to agree with Joe on the idea of using PVC. Would you use a PVC net on your backyard rink if you are shooting pucks? I wouldn't. Some lovely -15'C weather and that stuff will snap like peanut brittle.

I'll also agree with Joe on the 'no level' ground. If I used 4" boards, my neighbour would have a lovely rink in their backyard - or a lovely pond in the spring.

As for tarp colour, I have never used clear. I have used blue (which works but I don't recommend it - sun loves the darker colours) and white.
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

hockeyman96
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby hockeyman96 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 pm

I was intrigued by the pvc idea myself. I like the ice n go kits since they include brackets that raise the pipes off of the ground, giving you about 3 or 4 inches of ice. They also have covers that go over the pipes and liner to protect it from tears. Since it is not exposed, I wouldn't worry about pucks or skates breaking it.
Has anyone used these kits? I would love to build it myself but I can't find a bracket to use to raise the pipes.

In my area, (long island, NY) both Lowe's and Home Depot raised the price of the OSB Sheathing. It now costs $13 per sheet.

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:08 am

Matt
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 70x25
Materials: 2x10's and 2x12's. homemade wooden triangle brackets with 1" metal stakes.

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 pm

if you plan on putting up your rink for several years i wouldn't go with the pvc pipe. it begins to stick together after awhile and gets hard to break down. and cold weather is really hard on that pvc. cracks very easily and sunlight will make it brittle after a few years also. so while theyre cheap to start with they usually dont last. and clear or semi clear tarps will work but they can develop some soft spots after a few straight days of sunny weather. dark areas (grass, leaves) under that liner abosorb sunlight and warm up the ice in that area. white tarps do a good job of keeping that from happening

hockeyman96
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby hockeyman96 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks for the insight. I have been debating which way to go with it and I haven't seen much about the ice n go kits. I've been leaning towards doing it myself and it's looking like that is the right way to go.

Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”