[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Preferred base layer? -

Preferred base layer?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kdukatz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 56
Materials: 1/2" OSB, 2' x 8' with 3' vertical rebar (1' into ground) behind 2x4 or 2x6, every 4'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Preferred base layer?

Postby kdukatz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm

No, not under your rink, on your skin. When you go out to skate on those really cold days, what's your preferred base layer of clothing. Old school long john's? Under Armour Cold Gear? What works for you?

I'm thinking of getting some of the high tech stuff like Under Armour but I'd like to get some opinions before I drop that much coin on some fancy underwear.
"You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there's nobody out there. It's kinda sad actually."

-Neal Broten - "Pond Hockey" documentary

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Preferred base layer?

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:59 pm

I have some UA Cold Gear from back when I played a ton of flag football, and it's good stuff. Wore some today to build a couple rinks in fact. But when I'm skating on the backyard, I rarely wear more than a tee-shirt and a hoodie. If it's real cold I might throw on a long-sleeve tee, but even when I'm skating with the kids I tend to warm up quickly.

For pond hockey tourneys, I definitely dress in several layers, and one of them is the UA Cold Gear. But again, once you get used to the initial chill, you warm up quickly. It's not uncommon to see guys at pond hockey events shedding layers between halves.

Summary: UA Cold Gear is legit, but not 100% necessary. I find more excuses to wear it outside the rink than I do when I'm skating.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

kdukatz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 56
Materials: 1/2" OSB, 2' x 8' with 3' vertical rebar (1' into ground) behind 2x4 or 2x6, every 4'

Postby kdukatz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Joe. I've got some heavy duty thermal stuff that I wear sitting in the deer stand, but then I'm not moving. I don't like the idea of wearing that when skating becuase 1) it would be too warm and 2) it won't wick away sweat.

I'm playing in the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships in Minneapolis for the first time this year. I'm thinking that's where I will really want the UA Cold Gear - wick away the sweat while I'm skating so I can stay dry/warm in between games.
"You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there's nobody out there. It's kinda sad actually."

-Neal Broten - "Pond Hockey" documentary

Hockeynut
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Hockeynut » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I have light UA long sleeve on with a t shirt and sweatshirt over it and finally a jersey. You warm up pretty fast skating around.

Chris
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 60x40
Materials: 1" 4x8 plywood ripped into 3 16"x8' sheets.2"x4" & 2"x6" brackets

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:59 pm

I generally just stick with a tshirt sweatshirt and sweatpants. Though I was super excited last spring to skate in shorts and a tshirt during the last few days of rink usage! :)

Dwieg
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Dwieg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

@ Kdukatz

Ive played in the USPH tourney the last 2 years, going on my 3rd. I'd recommend that you wear several layers for it, last year when we played it was -15 f. and -25 including windchill.... really freaking cold! my suggestion would be to get a UA ski mask that is really thin, that way it will fit under your helmet and it is easy to take off. I also wore UA long jons too that helped alot. When you are playing you get really warm really fast but when you come off the ice to take a break thats when you get really cold really fast as well.

I am sure you will have a great time in minnesota, i know my team does. its a blast. Be sure to look for us out there, our team name is "the pylons" we will have orange construction vests on... Good luck in your pond hockey adventures..

Puck Scout
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Puck Scout » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 am

After years of sitting in treestands in December and icefishing through the winter, I have tried it all, UA, Dufold etc. The best I have found for the money...the cheap Champion (Target) and Starter (walmart) UA knock-offs.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Yooper
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby Yooper » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:10 am

Last year I played at the Pond Hockey Nationals in Eagle River. Woke up Friday morning at 6:30 for our first game at 9 and the temperature was a balmy -21f. Game time had warmed up to -19f. NBC had a helicopter flying 200 feet overhead taking videos that was making the windchill somewhere south of stupid. I had a bauer long sleeve shirt with a kevlar neck protector that acted like a turtle neck. After that, it was just comfortable layers. It really wasn't that bad. Type Bauer 1034509-sr into a search engine and you'll find it for around $50. Have used it both time this year on the backyard rink and it works great.

Dave

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”