[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Summer rink projects -

Summer rink projects

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bfalla
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Summer rink projects

Postby bfalla » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Who's doing what with their backyard rinks this summer? Painting boards, building goals, installing flood lights, kegerators, building a Zamboni? Summertime may be hot, but it's still backyard rink season.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: Summer rink projects

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 pm

I've been meaning to ask this question for months!

For me, my rink project list is about 8 items long...and with every passing day, the likelihood of getting to any of them diminishes. For the sake of getting something in list form, here goes:

-Reconfigure/repair the Chelmsford Forum boards so they're flush (thanks for nothing, sawzall-wielding board removal guys)

-Finish painting the fence posts around my court black (instead of the nice shade of crimson rust)

-Lay out my boards and number them

-Drill evenly-spaced holes in the court surface, drop in 3/4" piping, and fashion some sort of waterproof cover so that come winter, I can drop in some rebar to use as supports (because having a rink on a tennis court is not nearly as sexy as it sounds due to lack of ground-penetrating supports)

-Get rid of last year's tarp, which is still in a giant roll in my backyard

-Repair my goal, which fell apart in four pieces whenever someone other than me tried to move it

I may get to removing the tarp, but I don't have high hopes for anything else with the business ramping up. Are we building this year, Mr F?
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

bfalla
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby bfalla » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Wow. Quite a list, Joe. I'd say the chances of you getting through that list before rink construction season starts is about the same as Shawn Thornton potting 40 goals this year, but that's just one man's opinion.
I vote for repairing the goal (RJ will insist on this anyway, so you've gotta do it at some point), and drilling holes in the court as priorities.
Incidentally, I wouldn't throw away your old liner. We put old liners under the new liner as added protection. Of course, your rink is so smooth and flat the double-liner may mess you up since it causes a few more bumps and wrinkles. They also make nice slip-n-slides.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 am

I'll second the 'using old tarp under new tarp' - I've done it before and it works nicely.

My project so far this summer (thanks to a week's staycation) was to replace the plywood on the face of 8 boards - 4 flat and 4 curved. The 4 curved boards used to be 7'x3' and are now 8'x4' so that will hopefully keep a few more pucks in the rink around the nets. New boards have been given a fresh couple of coats of paint and are almost ready to go - just need to drill some holes for the bolts.

The 'garden' shed has been re-organized for winter. Summer tools in the back, winter tools (shovel, blower, etc) in the front.

Canadian Thanksgiving is usually my PUR (Put up Rink) Weekend since it's a long weekend and I don't have men's hockey to get in the way. Unfortunately, this year it aligns perfectly with my birthday so I may have to be careful with the power tools.

Still on the list to do:
1 - Repair/replace floodlights
2 - Repair/replace netting above boards
3 - Repair/replace goals and nets - FYI: If anyone wants a scrap net or two for road hockey, let me know.

BTW Joe, you should have numbered your boards while they were erect last year. rookie move :-)

Unfortunately, the list will grow on PUR weekend as I start pulling out the boards and remember stuff that I wanted to do.

Best of luck,
Kev
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

bfalla
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions:
Materials:

Postby bfalla » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Good list, Kev. Hope the birthday doesn't mess up the PUR project, but I'm sure they can be compatable, unlike weddings, funerals and other nasty intrusions on rinkdom.
Best,
B

Return to “General Backyard Rink Discussion”