[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
What is happening with the Canadian NHL teams? -

What is happening with the Canadian NHL teams?

NHL, College, Youth Hockey...talk about our indoor hockey counterparts in here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
david
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 20x28
Materials: 2x8" frame and liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is happening with the Canadian NHL teams?

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:01 am

Any of you have any thoughts why almost all the Canadian NHL teams are struggling to even get a play off spot each year? Even though I'm a Habs fan, it breaks my heart every time I see Edmonton loses. Heck, I even hate to see that Toronto loses a game to a US team.

I mean, it can't be just a coincidence that a Canadian team haven't won the cup since 1993. Due to the collective bargain agreement, there shouldn't be any money issues why a star player could play for a Canadian team rather than a US team either, or am I missing something?

What are your thoughts on this?

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Re: What is happening with the Canadian NHL teams?

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 am

Good question. I think much of it has to do with the numbers....there are just many more NHL teams in the US than in Canada, and hence the odds of a Canadian team winning it is much lower.

I am admittedly not well-versed in the salary and tax differences between the US and Canada, though it doesn't appear that Canadian teams are hampered by finances. Kessel got a huge deal from TO, Luongo was the highest paid goalie for a while, the Sedins make good money, etc.

Also, Canadian teams have been close in the recent past. Vancouver lost in (the greatest game of my life) Game 7 to my Bruins in 2011...Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary all lost in the finals in the mid-2000's...

Edmonton perennially seems like a team on the rise, and they have amazing star talent and skill, but they need to fill in the gaps and let their young guns get a bit more mature.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

david
Seasoned Veteran

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 am

Well, it's like 99% chance that one of the 6 (7 including Winnipeg) Canadian team would win the cup at least once during the last 20 years if you picked one randomly NHL team each year. But you don't win the cup randomly, it's the best team that brings Lord Stanley home.

Look at the current standings. The 3 bottom teams in the west are from Canada. And I don't think it's an accident. It makes me sad, really.

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Postby kevmac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 am

Sports teams definitely don't get the tax breaks in Canada that the same team would get in the U.S. I don't know what the difference is either but if Florida can survive with crowds of less than 6000 people then there must be something going on. A team like Ottawa needs to make the playoffs in order to break even and that's with an owner imposed salary cap that is well below the league salary cap. I'm pretty sure that Edmonton has something similar in place as they were going through ownership issues recently as well. Teams like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are 'big' market teams in Canada and can afford to play closer to NHL salary cap and still suck.

I personally enjoy every time Toronto loses whether it's to another Canadian team or a team from the States. :-)
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

david
Seasoned Veteran

Postby david » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:09 pm

I could say that with Boston, but then I might get banned from the forum? ;)

soupy01833
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 24x56
Materials: 2x4 stakes. 3/4 ply with 2x4 perimeter 18 inches high

Postby soupy01833 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 pm

hey hey hey. We love our bruins. Well I just like Hockey in General. Even my school the BC eagles.

david
Seasoned Veteran

Postby david » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Honestly, I wouldn't be without the Bruins. The match up with habs vs bruins is always a thrill and so much tension. I love it! :)

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Haha David. Trust me, if I knew enough about this forum software to change user avatars, I've have already changed yours to a giant Nathan Horton face :)

Agreed though...B vs Habs is about as good as sports can get.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

david
Seasoned Veteran

Postby david » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 am

Oh.. that name recalls some really bad memories :-( I still have nightmares of the 2011 playoffs.. It seems like the habs will get a premature exit this year as well, if they even manage to clinch a spot. The team is in a terrible condition at the moment.

Return to “General Hockey Posts”