[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
NHL is back. Are you? -

NHL is back. Are you?

NHL, College, Youth Hockey...talk about our indoor hockey counterparts in here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

NHL is back. Are you?

Postby kevmac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

So as everyone already knows, the NHL reached a tentative agreement on Sunday and the league is expected to drop the puck on the shortened season next Saturday, January 19th. Members of this site are obviously hockey fans as they pour their heart and soul into a chunk of ice in their backyard for that little extra ice time that would costs hundreds of dollars to rent in an arena. We know the game in its purest form so my question to you: Do you care? Are you going to return as a fan to fill that void that was ripped away from you like a bandage over a freshly healed cut? Or will you be content to bide your time on your backyard rink until Mother Nature returns your sanctuary to a grassy pasture?

I have been a fan of the game all my life. This was made painstakingly clear when I was awake at 4AM for many a morning over the Christmas break in order to watch the World Juniors (which happens to be my favourite hockey to watch over any other hockey, whether NHL or Olympics). I bleed Red and White for my national team whenever they are playing and I have always been a loyal Ottawa Senators fan since I moved to the city. I am however still quite jaded toward the NHL. As it stands right now, I don't intend to watch any NHL games right away and I know that will not purchase tickets or merchandise to support either side of the lockout for a very long time. I don't know what it will take to win me back and I know that the NHL doesn't really care because there will be many people who just want to watch hockey again. I can't judge those people because I flocked back immediately after the last two lockouts, but 3 lockouts in the last 20 years leaves pretty deep wounds especially when you consider that the money they were fighting over was our money, not theirs.

I'll stop ranting now but would like to see what other people in the backyard rink community are thinking.

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

jesmith18
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 27 by 62
Materials: 2x10 boards with wooden stakes and a Nicerink liner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NHL is back. Are you?

Postby jesmith18 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:46 pm

I am a die hard Wings fan, my son plays (mites), and I play in beer leagues and I agree with a lot of what you said. I have already made the decision to stop going to any games this season and I'm going to try and do the same for next season, and I will not support the NHL by buying any sort of merchandise or anything connected to them for awhile. Having said that, I will not be able to help myself when it comes to watching them on TV, after all I do love the game, but I do feel like they need a wake up call from us fans who fund the league that this won't be accepted anymore. Enough is enough. Theres my rant!

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Similar boat. I LOVE the game, I love my Bruins, and I already purchased the regional cable packages so I can get their home games on HD (I'm cheap so I shut it off in the summer...screw the Red Sox).

Anyways, I despise the owners and Bettman, and put the lockout at about 98% their fault this time around. On the flipside, I (and many like me) became so enamored with the Bruins after their magical cup run (jesmith you know what I mean...maybe someday you will too, Kev, haha) that I'm stoked to see them back on the ice together at BU this week, and I'm ready to watch them play. But like you, I won't be spending any more money on the team - no tickets, no gear, just watching on TV. And that watching comes from a love of the game and the overall enjoyment of watching most of the same players who brought so many great memories to me and my family two years ago.

So that's about where I stand...I told myself I'd stay away and actually hoped they'd cancel the season just to spite themselves...but then I watched some B's/Habs footage from two years ago and now I'm ready to drop the puck. Hockey's got me.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

jesmith18
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 27 by 62
Materials: 2x10 boards with wooden stakes and a Nicerink liner

Postby jesmith18 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am

Well said guys. They've unleashed the beast in too many of us fans this time...

Matt
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 70x25
Materials: 2x10's and 2x12's. homemade wooden triangle brackets with 1" metal stakes.

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Same here. Didn't ask for any nhl merch for xmas. Just asked for some USA hockey stuff, i feel like they could spend it better than the nhl would anyways... I usually only made it to 3-4 nhl games a year anyways but im not too concerned about giving them more money than what the center ice package is gonna cost me. Didn't wanna see them burn a whole or half a year to get their 50/50 split. I also fear that they didn't really do anything to solve some of the systemic issues that plague the league and i am worried that they'll be doing this again in 7.5 years. Theres a few markets that havent (and probably won't) keep some teams viable. Wished that they would have done more on the revenue sharing front. Those teams are dangerously close to becoming another Phoenix debacle. I understand spreading the game across the U.S. is good for TV contracts and growing the fan base. Another team in Canada won't generate more fans. Just more $. Maybe they'll wake up and move a team or two or three. But i doubt it.

mbalcs33
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 68 x 42
Materials: 3/4" PT Plywood 16" high and kickplates - NiceRink Brackets and wooden stakes

Postby mbalcs33 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 pm

I'm a sucker - just love watching a good hard fought game and have been a Bs fan my whole life (I was a 7yo mite, or tyke when Bobby Orr et al won the cup). I guess I'm the kind of fan the NHL counted on during the lockout. When the puck is dropped on Saturday night I'll be watching. I look forward to the random Tues night in Feb when the Bruins are going against a conference rival and with the production value of NESN HD and the hope of building to another playoff cup run is in the air.
All that being said, I was never big into merchandise and after this last debacle I'm definitely more aware of other hockey options (of course besides watching the neighborhood kids in the backyard). We've gone to a couple of Boston College games, we've checked out our high school's games, and we're heading to the Providence Bruins (AHL) in a couple weeks.
I guess in the end I'm not surprised that millionaire's and billionaire's don't really care about us and are most concerned about building their own bank accounts. I trust them even less now and although I like their product, I love THE GAME even more. I think in the end they'll get viewership and fans in the seats again as long as the product is as good as its been recently. The fans have lost out on half a season, the vendors and local restaurants etc have lost tons of revenue, the players lost half a seasons salary, and some owners (not all) lost some $ in the short term for a long term contractual advantage. I'm afraid Matt is right and we may see this again in 8 years because the underlying imbalance in the league wasn't addressed.
In the meantime Go Bruins.
Mike
Skating on ponds for 45 years, a backyard rink for 14

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The important thing is that we watch each other's backs out on the ice. That's what matters"
Zdeno Chara

Return to “General Hockey Posts”