[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Question for 8U hockey coaches -

Question for 8U hockey coaches

NHL, College, Youth Hockey...talk about our indoor hockey counterparts in here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kdukatz
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32 x 56
Materials: 1/2" OSB, 2' x 8' with 3' vertical rebar (1' into ground) behind 2x4 or 2x6, every 4'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question for 8U hockey coaches

Postby kdukatz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 pm

If any of you are coaching 8U hockey (mites) in the states I'm curious if your association is implementing the USA Hockey ADM practice plans and what your experience has been.

This is my third year coaching mites. My first year our association hadn't made the switch yet, then last year we did. It was recieved with mixed feelings, but by the end of the year seemed to be running pretty smoothly. Now in our second year it seems to have more supporters than detractors, the latter being mostly "old school" guys who think a good practice for mites is lining them up on the goal line and skating them the length of the ice.

For those of you North of the border - USA hockey has developed practice plans for younger players that use a station based/small area games framework. Kids spend less time standing in line and more time moving. From what I've heard from a fellow coach who grew up in Ontario, you guys have been doing this kind of stuff for years and we're just catching up. Go figure.
"You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there's nobody out there. It's kinda sad actually."

-Neal Broten - "Pond Hockey" documentary

kevmac
Forum Moderator
Rink Dimensions: None
Materials: Sold the rink!

Re: Question for 8U hockey coaches

Postby kevmac » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:41 pm

That's awesome news. I've been coaching softball for my daughters for about 8 years now (they won't play hockey and that grinds my gears but that's for another story) and practices have always been stations. It's apparent on game day which teams are coached 'old school' and the teams that are coached 'new school'. (Not to brag but my U12 team went undefeated this year)

I think this new style is better for kids in learning more skills in a set time period - and they have more fun doing it. They are sponges for new stuff at that age and they pick things up so fast.

And by the way, thanks for volunteering at coach (even if they aren't my kids) - those things go unnoticed way too often!

Cheers
Kevin
Making Backyard Rinks from 1999-2015
Twitter: @kevmac_5 or @macisaac_odr

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I grew up in the same organization my son currently plays in, which was a very early adopter of ADM.

When I was 4, I was given a jersey, put on a team with my friends, and they'd drop a puck at center ice and let us go. Every two minutes the buzzer would go and we'd change up. That was our house league, and I did that for five years before I started playing travel hockey. I played up through college and so I can't say it ever affected me, but looking back, it's clear that the biggest, fastest kids would have the puck 90% of the time, and the slower, less-skilled players might not touch it all season.

Contrast that to what my 6yo is doing. He started at 4 in our learn-to-skate program, which was two hours a week of station work with no sticks. He did that for 1.5 years, then moved up to the learn-to-play program. This was also station-based, but with sticks and pucks and a focus on hockey skills. After two months, they separated the rink into three zones - each end zone held 3-on-3 games with goalies, and center ice was broken out into passing and shooting drills. The kids were broken up into groups of 5 or 6 and they rotated through, essentially playing 3-on-3 cross-ice at 4 stations and doing drills at the other two.

Having experienced both, as a player and parent, I LOVE ADM. When I grew up, our organization was it in my area. Now there are two other organizations, neither of which have adopted ADM. I think it's unfortunate, but to each their own. I think the focus on skill building and close-knit, 3-on-3 games benefits all. We have a pretty large discrepancy in talent in our learn-to-play program (which I help coach), and even the slow kids who aren't that interested in the game get to handle the puck in game situations. That would never happen in a full-ice setting.
I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Please visit your "User Control Panel" and update your location, rink dimensions, and materials used. It helps us when giving advice.

Oh, and check out our new book -

pnltbox20
Rink Rookie
Rink Dimensions: 32x48
Materials: 2x4 framed boards skinned with 7/16 OSB. Triangle brackets ever 32-48"

Postby pnltbox20 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm

I completely agree with Joe here. I grew up playing the same 2 minute buzzer hockey where we were taught to simply skate our lane up and down the ice and the game was dominated by the one or two players that were the best skaters on the ice.

Now many years later I am coaching both my 5 and 7 year old sons mite team. Our program in NH has also adopted the ADM model. At first i had my concerns with the fact that positions and rules of the game are a far second to the skill development. At this point I can't believe I had those concerns. Our program has 3 Mite "Intro" teams and to see the difference in the skills of all three teams is unreal. I am completely on board now with the ADM model.

HaleSkater
Seasoned Veteran
Rink Dimensions: 26 x 52
Materials: 3/4" plywood

Postby HaleSkater » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Fellow mite coach here, from Minneapolis.

Our association has adopted ADM as well. I agree with the sentiments expressed here that there are more positives than negatives. Chief among them is "shrinking" the game...smaller nets, smaller space, lighter blue pucks. EVERY other sport does this at the youth stage. Imagine a 6 year old shooting a full size ball at a 10 foot hoop, or a 8 year old running 90 feet to first base. Laughable. Keeping them moving and engaged, and getting to touch the puck A LOT goes a long way toward helping kids fall in love with our great game.

POTENTIAL downsides I see: They are almost entirely unaware of where to be on the ice from a traditional standpoint. This is probably 100% unimportant at their age. Additionally, with the way we rotate stations it is sometimes tough to have enough time where the same kids are with the same coach...and its possible for certain skills (like stopping to the weak side) to fall through the cracks for some kids.

Interested in this thread and what others have to say...

Joe
Site Admin
Rink Dimensions: 40x56
Materials: 2x12 boards, Chelmsford Forum Boards (on the shooting end), and homemade wooden brackets

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm Joe from Backyard-Hockey.com and EliteRinks.com.

Oh, and check out our new book -

Return to “General Hockey Posts”